The Endemic Ensemble's new album, Tangled, came out on October 21, 2016. It's being called
groovy and contagious (Dave Rogers, WTJU), and you can purchase the CD or digital album from CD Baby, Bandcamp, Amazon, and iTunes.
Bassist and composer Steve Messick performs in Seattle, Washington. He is the founder and band leader of the Endemic Ensemble and the Random Access Quartet, performs regularly with Orchestra Seattle / Seattle Chamber Singers (OSSCS), and is the owner of Opus Funkus Music. Steve also performs with other Seattle orchestras, big bands, and small ensembles.
Steve has produced four commercial jazz albums, two digital EPs, and one digital single:
- Endemic Ensemble: Tangled
- New Bop Brigade: Iron Man
- Endemic Ensemble: Lunar Recon
- New Bop Brigade: Blues for Agnes
- Endemic Ensemble: Lunar
- New Bop Brigade: New Bop Brigade
- Steve Messick: Transmissions From Planet Bass
Bassist Steve Messick plays with a full-bodied, woody tone and makes every note count (Lucid Culture).
Messick, as the band leader, careens deftly from big band sweep to intimate jazz club swoon (Carol Banks Weber, AXS).
Sounding somewhat like Scott LaFaro, Messick favors a fuzzy, soft tone and straight-ahead arrangements reminiscent of Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers' mid-'60s recordings (Matt Collar, All Music Guide).
Sprightly and tuneful--yet never smooth--Steve Messick's compositions recall an era when jazz routinely fused the artistic explorations of bebop with the catchiness of R&B (download.com).
- 2016, Endemic Ensemble, Tangled, Opus Funkus Music
- 2013, New Bop Brigade, Iron Man, digital single, Opus Funkus Music
- 2013, Endemic Ensemble, Lunar Recon, digital EP, Opus Funkus Music
- 2013, New Bop Brigade, Blues for Agnes, digital EP, Opus Funkus Music
- 2012, Endemic Ensemble, Lunar, Pony Boy Records
- 2005, New Bop Brigade, New Bop Brigade, Opus Funkus Music
- 2005, Emerald City Jazz Orchestra, Come Rain or Come Shine, Pony Boy Records
- 2002, Sierra Entertainment, Casino Empire, video game sound track, Sierra Entertainment
- 1999, Steve Messick, Transmissions From Planet Bass, Opus Funkus Music